Saturday, July 28, 2012

Prometheus: Ancient Greek for 'Bitter Disappointment'.

Prometheus opens with breathtaking landscapes and an intriguing suggestion about the origins of life on Earth. However, the first ten minutes are the only part of the movie worth watching. Michael Fassbender is the most genuine 'synthetic' ever created and is superb throughout with his serene ambiguity. But it all goes rapidly downhill from there. Despite a promising cast, the complete lack of scientific realism, expedition protocol, character development and, frankly, plot left me so totally underwhelmed that I cannot believe this was made by Ridley Scott! The alien life ranged from sentient black oil - reminiscent of X-files, silly eels, right through to a Muppet version of Geiger's original zenomorph. And because I was so uninvested in the characters I didn't give a s#%* when they were violently ripped apart by the monster menagerie. And don't get me started on the dialogue!!!
I'm not sure what Ridley has been smoking, but the only flashes of his Blade Runner brilliance were in the colour of android David's roots... I wish he'd left the Space Jockey alone now :(

2/5 - (Review by El)



No comments:

Post a Comment